
As of August 2, 2009, we will have been married for two whole years! This merits a posting for sure.
It's hard to believe that we could have served an entire mission with the amount of time we have been married now. I always planned on serving a mission. I even informed Tyler of this when we began dating. He however, had different plans and I'm so glad he did. As my cute in-laws often remind me, I'm still serving a mission, just a different one.
I don't want to get too mushy for all of you unsuspecting readers out there, so I'll just say this: Tyler is one of the best things that has ever happened to me and he reminds me of that time and time again. He is so thoughtful and goes out of his way to make me happy every day.
We've come a long way from our days of getting lost in the desert together, tying bed frames to the car with twine, and bailing water out of our bathroom sink. Despite the growth our relationship has experienced however, we are still determined to remain eternal newlyweds. The past two years have been the best of my life and I look forward to many many more to come!
Here are some of my favorite fun memories from the past two years:
- When we got married, we bought a tool set since neither of us owned any ourselves. Being a major tight wad, I refused to let Tyler buy more since we already had a full set. While installing new floors this past summer, one of the guys helping us asked for a hammer. When we handed him Ty's hammer, I wasn't sure if he was going to laugh or panic. "Where'd you get this, a happy meal?" was all he could say. To which my Dad replied, "All you need is a little pink bow on it." Tyler was relieved to have some back up and begged for a new "manly hammer".
Apparently I went a little overboard with the hammer. A month later when I presented him with a new standard-sized hammer adorned with a pink ribbon, I realized how small it actually was. I'm not even sure that thing was a 12 ounce. Poor Tyler.
- Tyler likes to surprise me and consequently, I like surprises! Some of the fun surprises he has given include: a luv sac, pearls, treats, new windows (long story), a wedding band (during the ceremony), flowers, freshly mowed lawn, etc...
- Once while Tyler was gone to soccer, I locked myself out of the house. He'd just left, which meant he had an entire game to play, followed by which he was going to make a trip to Lowes. For those of you who don't know, guys (or at least my guy) will invariably spend HOURS at a single "trip" to Lowes. It was pitch black, my windows were barred shut, my neighbors were in bed, I had no phone, no keys, and I was in stilettos, carrying a knotted pillow case filled with rice Tyler made for me one night to keep me warm (I heat it in the microwave). I did the only thing I could. I walked to Lowes. It was scary. I borrowed a random stranger's cell phone to leave Tyler a voicemail instructing him to find me at Lowes. To make a long story short, Riverdale Road is very scary to cross on foot, but once I made it, Tyler was waiting for me on the other side. Needless to say, we made our first spare key that night. He takes such good care of me.
- We once tried reading Harry Potter together. Tyler was unhappy with the slow pace at which we were reading and snuck out to the living room to read the book all night. I didn't find this out until the very end when it became obvious through forced "oooh"s and "aws" that he already knew what was going on. My initial reaction was outrage. Thankfully we joke about it now. While I was definitely taken aback by his deception, I now appreciate his sincere desire to spend time together. To Tyler, reading the book meant more than just following a plot, it was spending time together, even if he already knew the ending. It's taken me 2 years, but we've finally started reading another book together. ... we'll see how it goes this time around.
Love,
Shay
3 comments:
You two are so cute!! We need to get together sometime and go on a double date.
Yay! Congrats!
So cute! I love this post! It reminds me to appreciate the little moments that make life (and marriage) so worth it!
Post a Comment